Friday, December 4, 2009

Ashley Johnson - Chicago, Illinois

Ashley Johnson
Film Connection Student - Chicago, Illinois

It's easy to make a radio talk show boring. Without the benefit of visuals, it's going to be harder to engage the listener to tune in. Most people go on the radio to listen to music or the news. Radio talk shows comes third to those two.

I always thought that the best way to get around that was to make sure that you've got an interesting topic on hand. That's very true. However, after my mentoring sessions, I realized that there's more to that process. A lot of research goes into it. Having an interesting topic is one thing, but to use it in a radio talk show is completely different. I have to make sure that I've thoroughly researched the facts and that I do not sacrifice the truth just to get a juicy soundbite from the guests. And it's also useful for those times that there might be a lull in the conversation. It is my duty as the host to keep to conversation going and flowing.

And of course, if things get out of hand, I have to make sure that I reel it back in and keep it civil. It should be informative and entertaining, and the right training really gets me started on that path, giving me that radio connection to reach out to more people in ways different from music and news.

No comments:

Post a Comment