Friday, December 18, 2009

Angeline Walters - Seattle, Washington

Angeline Walters
Seattle, Washington Film Connection Student


What would a good movie be without a good soundtrack? Admit it, movies would have less of an impact without the music. Visuals are not enough, especially not to an average viewer. The perfect soundtrack gets them in the right mood to be able to appreciate what the movie is trying to show them.

And it’s not just the music too. Every sound you hear in a movie is as well thought out as the blocking of the scenes or the delivery of the line. If the accompanying sound comes a minute too soon or a minute too late, the difference is just phenomenal.

Though not as much of a big deal as the other parts of the film-making process, being part of the sound department is still a hugely important part. You need to be on your toes both technically (handling all the equipment) and creatively. It is a rather fascinating process, one I’m learning so much as my internship goes on.

And what’s interesting in this internship is I get to effectively strike two birds with one stone. For one, I’m already seeing my mentor in his element, seeing him apply his years of knowledge to helping the movie be as great as it could be. For another, aside from learning from what he is teaching me, I’m also helping him with his work. It’s as if I’m already working. I get to apply what I learned right away.
I’m getting that film connection to be a part of the success of the movie, even when I’m basically just that background sound that you won’t notice. But you’ll definitely miss it if it’s not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment