Friday, November 6, 2009

Darryl Jones - San Jose, California

Darryl Jones
San Jose, California - Film Connection Student

I've always been fascinated by the way lighting is done in movies. True, the story and the direction are what movies are all about, and yet it is interesting to note that the perfect or wrong lighting could easily either make or break a film. One wrong lighting in one scene and it could distract the viewers from the movie, and the whole story would now be lost under that technical mistake.

To do this perfectly is a mixture of technical know-how and creative genius, and I am enjoying my mentorship right now. I'm working with a lighting director who's teaching me so many things every day. There's the technical aspect of the different equipment needed for a particular scene. How to perfectly light a night scene, making it bright enough but still believable as night. I mean come on, doesn't it frustrate you when the lighting is just so unrealistic, but you don't really want to see dark scenes, right?

It's only been my first few weeks into this mentorship program, and already I'm learning so much. Pretty soon, I can't wait to actually get my hands on lighting equipment for a hands-on experience. This is such an exciting program. I'm getting that film connection to be a part of the little details that make a movie so magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment