Friday, October 23, 2009

Lisa Burdock - Tucson, Arizona

Lisa Burdock
Tucson, Arizona - Film Connection Student

Isn't is amazing how films have so many different genres? Think about it. There's definitely a film or two for everybody. I know it sounds like a cliche, but one of the best ways to relax and unwind after a stressful day at work or at school is to just stick some popcorn in a microwave and settle down with a film. Maybe it's something you've been dying to see since your best friend recommened it to you or maybe it's that favorite movie from your childhood that you've watched at least a million times.

I guess that's why I like to study film making. I want to be behind those films that touch millions of lives either through the big screen or just the TV in the living room. To be behind one of mankind's greatest comfort, whether it's just to relax after working so hard or to broaden their horizons without leaving their seats.

The thing with films is that they're a pretty creative field. You can't just learn how to be good at this by copying notes written on a blackboard along with fifty or so classmates. You need someone to show you how it's done not just because that's how it's written in some books. Not that books aren't helpful; they are. But with something like film making, it's better to have a one-on-one session with an expert who's really had experience. Some people learn better this way; I know I do. I work better with a mentor/tutor that's focused only on me and will not be distracted by another student.

Now that is what I call learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment